Dirk Driehuijzen

3D artist

HOME





Temple of Diana

I came up with the idea of this piece when I found an image of the real temple on Pinterest.
It's a temple dedicated to the goddess of hunt Diana, it was built in ancient Rome in the 6th century BC during the reign of the king Servius Tullius

I've had been using Vray for some months at that time and I was curious about how close I would get my 3D renders to match a real life photograph.
Because I had to switch from my rendered images to my reference quite often, I easily saw what made my renderings look fake.
So at the end I can say this project left me with a better sense of realistic lighting / materials / editing.





The image above shows how it eventually turned out in motion. ↑

Reference

So, now I will further explain the process step by step.
The first step is quite obvious, I had to find as much reference as possible.
Luckily, there were some high resolution images on Google, which gave me more information about the statues and the ornaments



Progress

Now that I've collected all my reference photos it was time to start modeling.
I started with a blockout in 3ds Max. After I got the proportions right, I started adding in more detail.

The statues and ornaments were made in Zbrush.
I used zspheres and dynamesh for the statues and extracted masks out of my 3ds max geometry to create the ornaments.

Here are some renders I took during the process. ↓





I didn't have any deadlines, since this is freework, but I always try to get the best results in the least amount of time.
For example, I didn't do any unique unwrap, I always used tileable maps in combination with blend materials.

For this stone material in particular, I used a clean tileable stone textured blended with a dirt version.
Vray dirt was used to make sure the dirt gets in the occluded area, I've used Vray dirt almost everywhere.
It's easy to use and speeds up the texturing process a lot.

Stone material. ↓





It's all about details, I've put some small leafs in the water to add that little extra.
The leafs were added in the water material, so when the waves move using their animated displacement,
the leafs stay on the surface of the water.

water material. ↓





Here are some close-ups from the daytime version. ↓





And finally, below is the final image rendered in max using Vray and edited in Photoshop. ↓
Note: the volumetric lighting was rendered in vray and added as a separated pass.